If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is “God is crying.” And if he asks why God is crying, another cute think to tell him is “Probably because of something you did.”
Keep this one burned into your mind for a while, as I’ll be out of town next Monday & Tuesday. The next message will be sent out on August 28th. HEY - any end-of-summer parties planned? Know of anything fun happening? Keep in touch - drop me a line or post it on the bulletin board.
FAMOUS BIRTHDAYS, August 14th
1941 - David Crosby
1945 - Steve Martin
1947 - Danielle Steel
1959 - Earvin "Magic" Johnson
1968 - Halle Berry
Football is just around the corner…so I thought it appropriate to include the College preseason top ten (Coaches poll):
1. Ohio State
3. (tie) Notre Dame
3. (tie) Southern California
7. West Virginia
10. Florida State
Recent Notable Headlines
(1) "Eyebrow Wax Herpes Lawsuit to Proceed" (a June Journal News of Westchester County, N.Y., story of a lawsuit against a nail salon).
(2) "Port to Get Nuclear Detectors That Won't Be Set Off by Cat Litter" (a July Press of Atlantic City story about technology to reduce false positives from cargo with slight naturally occurring radiation).
(3) "Man Once Convicted for Child Molestation Could Go Free Because Judge Accepted a Doughnut" (a July story on Northwest Cable News, Seattle, about a new trial ordered for a sex offender because the judge was too chummy with one juror).
As a reminder, my reason for sending this is to help keep communication lines open between friends while hopefully adding a bit of levity to the day. Back issues are available in the Deep Thoughts section of my website. Have a great week, and look for the next edition on August 28th!
*Weird News is borrowed from Chuck Shepherd’s “News of the Weird”, available at www.newsoftheweird.com)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
You are receiving the Deep Thoughts Weekly either because you are a friend who was initially added to my mailing list or have opted in to receive it. These will be delivered on Monday mornings unless otherwise stated. Please fee free to share this message with others! If someone wants to get on my mailing list, they can send me a request at email@example.com or add their name online at www.mcgonigal.org/data/generalinfo.htm.
If you’d rather not receive this type of message, please accept my apologies for the intrusion…simply reply back to this e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a request to be removed and you won’t receive it again. Further information for friends and the curious can be found at www.mcgonigal.org.